When you get your own home you are living the American dream. You must purchase New York homeowners insurance so that dream doesn’t become a nightmare. With all of the costs that mount up when you buy a new home, insurance doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Sites like https://newyork-insurance.website/new-york-homeowners-insurance/ helps us with things that we can do to cut down on our liability which in turn will cut down on our premiums.
- Make sure you have all of the information on your house when you buy it. The insurance agent will need to know how old the home is so he can determine how much it will cost to replace it in case of a disaster or weather-related event. Know how old your roof is. If it is very old you are better off replacing it now so that you won’t have to pay more insurance in order to have it covered.
- If you don’t already have one make sure you get a security system installed. Most alarm companies will put in all the equipment at no cost to you just so you use their monitoring system every month. That cost is minimal, around $40 to $50 a month but it will protect you, your family, and your possessions and save you up to 20% on your homeowner’s insurance.
- Fire is one of the major claims for homeowners so include a fire alarm system with your security system. Make sure you have smoke alarms in every room and change the batteries regularly. A fire extinguisher in the kitchen is also a good idea and will save you time and money if you don’t even have to submit a claim because you were able to put out a small fire before it became a big one.
- If you have a dog that is on the list for being at risk, make sure that he or she is restrained when no one is at home. If the dog is left outside and breaks free from a leash and bites the mailman, you may lose your coverage in that area.
- Just as with any kind of insurance, make sure you shop around. Not all insurance companies charge the same rates and not all of them cover the same circumstances. Make sure you check their policies on flood damage, wind damage, and any other weather effects your area may experience and could damage your home.